96% of local councils in the United Kingdom have claimed that their need for affordable housing is severe or moderate and have called upon the government to do more to tackle affordable housing prices, writes property developer Richard Carr.
The Association for Public Service Excellent (APSE) and the Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) have published a report calling for urgent government action to deliver the homes needed in the UK.
The report reveals:
- 72% of councils think the National Planning Police Framework (NPPF) hinders building of affordable housing
- 96% of councils say that their need for affordable housing is severe or moderate
- 7% think starter homes will help address affordable housing
“With 96% of councils describing their need for affordable homes as severe or moderate, and 89% worried that the extension of Right to Buy will lead to less affordable homes, it is clear that there is a real crisis,” Kate Henderson, chief executive of the TCPA, told propertywire.com.
“Councils are concerned that government policy is not enabling them to deliver genuinely affordable housing. We need to have a housing strategy that provides affordable homes to all people,” she added.
The report also laid out a number of key recommendation:
- The government to develop a housing strategy that provides decent homes for everyone in society
- Councils shouldn’t be forced to sell off their social housing to fund the extension to Right to Buy
- Councils should take control over their investment plans, rents and assets
“Our main message is we need Government to put in place a housing strategy for the nation that provides decent homes for all. Whilst efforts have been concentrated on so called affordable homes this is often not the case and these homes remain out of reach for the vast majority of people,” said Paul O’Brien, APSE chief executive.
“The situation is even worse for those dependent on social and genuinely affordable housing for rent. Current housing policy is in need of demolition. The time has come to start afresh by putting local authorities and new council homes at the heart of a new housing strategy.”
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/9/d542973572/htdocs/app542974576/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php7.1') in /homepages/9/d542973572/htdocs/app542974576/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41